When you have already mastered playing blackjack and wish to take your game to the next level, card counting is the next skill to learn and master! Counting cards may be a natural skill to acquire, but is definitely one that is a challenge to master.
Equip yourself with the ultimate guide on how to do card counting and learn about its strategies as well as the legalities that come with it. This how-to guide will also inform you about the history of card counting and more. To play like a pro the soonest time, you can practice card counting in the counting simulator.
How to Use the Blackjack Training Guide
- The very 1st thing that you need to do when learning to do card counting is to memorize the assigned value of all the cards that goes:
- High cards (10 Jack, Queen, King, Ace) = (-1)
- Low cards (2- 6) = (+1)
- Remaining cards (7- 9) = 0
- As soon as you press play, the cards will start to be dealt with.
- The next step is to compute the overall value of all the cards on the table within a 40-second time frame. In this process, you would need to add and subtract the card values to get the result.
- When you already have the value, input your answer into the box, or you may also use the arrows to choose the right answer.
- If your answer is correct, the game moves on and progresses, then keep on adding or subtracting from your earlier total.
- Always keep track of your total count as you move up.
- This process goes on as you keep leveling up. Round 3, however, is the sum total of all the earlier rounds plus the current.
What is Card Counting in Blackjack?
What exactly is card counting? It is an added skill for blackjack players to gain more ideas about what is in the deck. It is a type of technique used in keeping track of the number of high and low cards that are left on the dealer’s floor. Card counting then is not about knowing how to consistently win in the game, nor is it about learning how to cheat.
It is more like about knowing your odds in betting so you can have a higher chance of winning big. When you can count your cards successfully, then you can try raising your bet.
How Does Blackjack Card Counting Work?
To accurately count the cards, you would need to have an ongoing count that is based on the face value of the cards that are shown. Here are the 4 steps to do this:
- 1st is to assign value to the cards which are either (-1) or (+1)
- Continue running a count for every card the dealer pulls from the deck using the given values.
- When your count is precise, you will be able to track the running value of the remaining cards that are left in the deck.
- When a round is done, and the count is negative, you may raise your bet. However, if the count turns out positive, then you would have to lower your chance.
Can You Count Cards in Online Blackjack?
You can definitely count cards in online blackjack. Most online casinos use software that shuffles the cards each time a new hand is dealt, but there are also programs wherein the cards are counted for you.
Basic Card Counting Strategy
Hi-Lo strategy is the most basic technique for beginners where high cards and low cards are assigned a value. This strategy is easy to learn, which makes it ideal for newbies.
The process is to make a note in your head of the assigned values for every card dealt, then do this continuously for each new card sold without breaking your sum until the deck is reshuffled. Running count is the term used for the total.
Advanced Card Counting Strategies
If you feel that you have mastered the Hi-Lo strategy, then you can try using more sophisticated techniques. Some of these are:
This technique is a balanced system where you have 0 as a base. Positive cards mean that there are more low cards in the deck being dealt, while negative cards reflect that there more high tickets on the floor.
The assigned values are as follows:
- 2,3,7 = 1
- 4,5,6 = 2
- 9 = (-1)
- 10 and all face cards = (-2)
- 8 and ace = 0
This is an advanced technique where the count should be 0. But since you can have fractions, you can simplify by doubling up the values to avoid getting fractions.
The assigned values are:
- 3,4,6 = 1
- 2,7 = 0.5
- 5 = 1.5
- 8 = 0
- 9 = (-0.5)
- 10, ace and face cards = (-1)
Other strategies are: Group Play, Multiple Decks, and Counting Multiple Decks.
Which Strategy is Best?
The most straightforward technique is the hi-lo strategy, but before even trying to learn about the method, be sure that you have mastered the game itself 100%.
Is Counting Cards Illegal?
Before doing card counting, you must know the laws first in your area about this. Like in Nevada, card counting using electronic or mechanical devices is not allowed, and you can get arrested when caught.
Casino operators know about this strategy, and they try to prevent it by installing surveillance cameras. Dealers are often switched when the pit boss thinks that a table is “hot.”
Online blackjack does not have this kind of problem because the software forces random shuffles to prevent this practice.
Quick Card Counting Tips
- Before betting, know how much money you have and can play with.
- Be discreet. Though it’s not illegal, it is not favored by many casinos.
- If you are using this strategy, play at a land casino.
- Try different strategies and see what works for you.